Cruelty Cases

 Animal Rescue Logo

Where do I report animal cruelty?

In Kitsap County: Report to the Kitsap Animal Rescue department, call 911

Outside Kitsap County: You will need to find out the name of the persons in your area who are responsible for investigating anti-cruelty codes in your town, county and/or state. These people typically work for your local human organization, animal control agency, taxpayer-funded animal shelter or police precinct.

To find out what agencies are authorized to investigate and arrest instances of animal cruelty in your area (i.e, does the enforcement of animal cruelty laws fall under the authority of the police department or animal control officers?), visit the ASPCA's Report Animal Cruelty FAQ page.

Tips for Reporting Animal Cruelty:

Once you have found out which law enforcement agent you should speak to, it’s important to provide him or her with a consise, written, factual statement of what you observed, giving dates and approximate times whenever posible. If at all feasible, try to photograph the abusive situation and date your pictures. It would also be helpful to get short, factual written statements from other witnesses.

When you call to report animal cruelty, always make sure to keep a careful record of exactly whom you contact, the date of the contacts and the content and outcome of your discussion. Never give away a document without making a copy for your file! Make it clear to the agent that you are very interested in pursuing the case, and that you are willing to lend whatever assistance you can.

Follow up if Necessary - If you don’t receive a response from the officer assigned to your case within a reasonable length of time, don’t be afraid to present your information to his or her supervisor and, if necessary, to local government officials, such as the county commissioner, and ask them to act.